Sunday, June 05, 2016

Quick evening session at Slieve Gallion

Saturday  4th June. After chasing the wind - what little there was - I called at Robin Young's to find a very light wind coming and going and well off to the east. Whilst debating the possibility that Agnew's might work, I got a text from Uel Glendinning who was at Sl Gallion to say that there was a nice 10mph wind bang on the easterly small ridge.

I headed over to join Uel, letting my EP student Paul Cunningham know as he lives in nearby Maghera. Paul joined us on the hill just before 5pm just after paramotor pilot Chris Stockdale had a quick top to bottom flight on his paramotor wing (without the paramotor) as I was preparing the Skyman Heartbeat for a flight. I managed to get quite a few beats in before the wind eased and I, too, ended up at the bottom. Fortunately the ridge there is not that high so a walk back up is not too bad.

Paul got organised with the small Firebird F1rst and, after a bit of getting used to ground handling in a stronger wind - up to 14mph at times - he had three very good top to bottom flights with standup landings.

No comments: