Saturday, March 19, 2016

Robin Young's Hill

Another day with little to offer by way of flying. At the top takeoff at Robin Young's  the wind was on the hill but varying between 4 and 12mph. When it picked up a little I took off and turned to fly along the cliff. I didn't get enough initial lift and flew along the top of the front ridge. There was very little lift - barely maintaining and close to landing. when I flew off the end of the front ridge and back towards the cliff bowl I was still only maintaining height.

I then turned to fly along the front ridge lower down - 172ft below takeoff. Surprisingly I was able to maintain height and by staying in close managed to gain enough height to get back and turn into wind to land by the car park. I guess the glide at speed of the Skyman Heartbeat I was flying, saved the day.

The radio control model flyers were out but not enough wind for them by that stage. The wind later went north and got very gusty - measured 8 gusting 17mph at the lower takeoff. No more flying.

No comments: