Monday, March 21, 2016

Good day at Dungiven

Some good flying at Dungiven W this afternoon. Jim Rainey was in the air as I arrived. Phil Barron and Dermot Lagan had flown. Phil and Jim left soon after for other engagements leaving Dermot and me to carry on.

That seemed to be the cue for the wind to pick up with sharp instant gusts 9 - 20mph coming through. I tried ground handling in this but the lightweight Skyman Heartbeat wing was a real handful, tending to leap about on the ground and a small tug on the risers resulted in the wing instantly flying up overhead and beyond and then tucking after briefly lifting me on the way and dropping me again!

We waited and were eventually rewarded by the wind dropping to a manageable 12-14mph for takeoff around 4pm. I had a couple of good soaring flights, discovering that the wind at height was more NW and noticing that smoke from a fire across the valley was showing a consistent N wind! Lift was more or less everywhere and mostly smooth with the occasional wobble.  Approach to top landings was smooth. Dermot had another flight as I was getting ready to pack up.

No comments: