Thursday, March 10, 2016

Light wind faffing about.

Martin Bates, Dermot Lagan, Tom Carson and myself spent the afternoon at Big Collin in sunny and mild conditions with light and variable wind, mostly SSW. Phil Barron was getting a student successfully airborne as the rest of us practiced our ground handling at the top, interrupted by semi-soaring mostly groundskimming short flights ending up our last flights by the cars.

I was playing with the Skyman Heartbeat M - a lightweight EN B wing. In a bit of breeze it easily inflates in a reverse launch by simply stepping back in the harness without the need to use the front risers. Cobra launches are also very easy and the glide was better than I expected as I overshot my intended landing spot. Handling is light and precise and the wing is noticeably faster 'hands up' than my Firebird Raven M. This might be down to reduced drag from the thin risers and line arrangement.

A pleasant day to be out and useful ground handling practice but not an epic flying day there.

No comments: