Sunday, November 19, 2017

Cold day at Big Collin

Calm at home all morning but I decided to take a run out to Big Collin on the strength of a southerly forecast. From a distance I could see vehicles parked on the lane and a couple of paraglider wings laid out alongside. When I got there, I found Al McMaster and Walter Hoy chatting to another person I didn't know. Walter had already flown his paramotor but Al wanted to wait for some wind for a reverse launch. As what little wind there was, was Southerly I drove round to nearer the windfarm and parked. A walk up to the top of the hill failed to find any more wind - max 2 or 3mph.

I joined Al and Walter by their cars - the other person (apparently a paramotor pilot who had got into an argument at Dungiven a short time ago) had left. We chatted for a while; they both went up again for a couple of flights and as the wind seemed to be starting to stir a bit I drove further round the lane and parked in the layby at the speed limit sign.

Climbing the hill again the wind had picked up to around 10mph so I gave Brian Dawson a call.  He is returning to the sport after a long break. When Brian arrived we went up to the top. Al and Walter had landed and gone home and we were joined by Ken McConnell who had flown his paramotor from the Agnew's Hill area. When Ken left, Brian had two good flights with 180 degree turns and bottom landings. After walking up the hill for a third flight he decided he had had enough and with the freshening wind it was getting cold, so I went up on the training wing (Firebird F1rst M), managing some soaring beats before landing by the car.

No comments: