Saturday, November 19, 2016

Another wasted journey!

Having heard there was snow on the road at Dungiven I dithered about heading out, although the forecast was reasonable with wind supposed to ease. Donal Hamilton was thinking of heading to Dungiven too but a bit put off by news of snowy road. Meantime Tony Davis had headed to Sl. Gullion.

Since I had been grounded by the weather for a while now and believing the forecast of easing wind, I decided to head to Dungiven anyway. On the way I got a message to say that Donal had decided to go to Sl. Gullion. Arriving at Dungiven W, I discovered that the road all the way to the top was bare tarmac, thanks to the westerly sunshine. There was still a light dusting of snow on the grass. The wind was on the hill but 18-20mph and gusting. Too strong for me. There was low cloud on the hills upwind but Benbradagh well clear of cloud.

After about an hour I took another wind reading - now gusting to 21mph! So much for the forecast! Aside from the wind, the cloud had now come down on the hill so I left, coming out of the cloud about 100ft down the hill. Another wasted journey.

To complete my day, I learned that there had been good flying at Sl. Gullion!

No comments: