Friday, January 20, 2017

Foggy one

Forecast light SE wind indicated flying and training at Big Collin would be on. On the way there, it seemed obvious that the hill was covered in cloud and a very light drizzle had started. Arriving at the hill I found the forecast light SE wind but parking at the usual layby I was already at cloudbase and could only just make out the lake upwind. I texted my students to tell them not to bother and decided to wait in the drizzle to see if there would be any improvement. I noticed that some of the metal lane marker poles had been replaced by short plastic ones as arranged by Alastair McMaster with the wind farm operators. I understand that the rest are also due to be replaced.

I was soon joined by Dermot Lagan and later by Colin Dowey. We sat in the car for some time commiserating and talking about paragliding instead of doing it. During this time the lake kept appearing and disappearing with visibility blotting out the nearby farm buildings on one occasion.

Gradually the drizzle eased a bit and cloudbase lifted to further up the hill. Colin was itching to get some ground handling practice and followed the wind round to the southerly side when it shifted. He managed to get some low level soaring for a while but ended up with soaking gear. Dermot and I decided that it was not worth getting wet. We helped Colin to pack his wet glider and we all called it a day, hoping for better tomorrow.

No comments: